1. A. Toom. A Rich, Free Nation Must Have
Creative Learning. (Letter to editor.)
The Central New Jersey Home News, 1990, June 18, p. A6.
2. A. Toom. Decentralize Aid. (Letter to the editor.)
New York Times, 1991, January 10, p. A24.
3. A. Toom. A Russian Teacher in America.
Journal of Mathematical Behavior, 1993, v. 12, n. 2, pp. 117-139.
This article was reprinted with variations several times.
The version put here is the most complete.
Photos of Mark Voon mentioned in this article.
Albert Shanker in New York Times about
"A Russian Teacher in America".
4. A. Toom's interview for Palo Alto Review,
San Antonio, Texas, fall 1993, pp. 38-43.
5. A. Toom. From Russia with Math.
UME Trends, v. 6, n. 2, May 1994, pp. 10-11.
6. A. Toom. Review of the book "Colorado Math Olympiad:
The First 10 Years and Further Explorations"
by Alexander Soifer. Crux Mathematicorum
(Canada), 21, June 1995, pp. 198-201.
7. A. Toom. Review of the book "Mathematical Circles
(Russian Experience)" by Dmitry Fomin,
Sergey Genkin, and Ilia Itenberg, AMS, 1996.
The American Mathematical Monthly,
May 1997, pp. 474-477.
8. A. Toom. How I Teach Word Problems. Primus,
v. VII, n. 3, September 1997, pp. 264-270.
9. A. Toom. Review of the book
"A Mathematical Mosaic: Patterns & Problem Solving" by Ravi Vakil. American Math. Monthly, May 1997, pp. 474-477.
My file The published version
10. A. Toom. Word problems:
Applications vs. Mental Manipulatives.
For the Learning of Mathematics,
v. 19 (1), March 1999, pp. 36-38.
11. A. Toom. Between Childhood and Mathematics:
Word Problems in Mathematical Education.
Humanistic Math Network Journal,
#20, July 1999, pp. 25-32,44.
12. A. Toom. From the life of units. Kvant Selecta: Combinatorics, I.
Ed. by S. Tabachnikov. Mathematics World, v.17, 2002.
13. A. Toom. Arithmetical Word Problems in Russia.
Published in a slightly different version as
"Ryska skolproblem" in "Svenska Matematikersamfundet Medlemsutskicket, Sweden, October 1, 2005, pp. 8-11
14. A. Toom. Wars in American Mathematical Education. Unpublished.